The Goonies review
Hey You Guys! Blueprint Gaming takes us back to the 80s with a slot version of the classic movie. It features your favourite characters, like Data, Chunk, Mikey and Sloth, and provides all the thrills of the movie. Read our The Goonies review to find out about the features you can expect.
What We Looked at in The Goonies
We fully explore games to understand how they work, what you can get and which parts deliver the fun. From graphics and RTP to features and soundtrack, we rate and evaluate each part in detail.
- Theme and slot symbols: What’s the slot’s theme, do the symbols fit, how many do you need for a payout, and how much will you get?
- Autoplay options: Is there an autoplay feature? What kind of controls are there?
- Min and max bet: What’s the starting point for playing the game and how high can you go?
- RTP: What’s the theoretical payout rate for players for this slot?
- Volatility: Ranging from low to high; will you get frequent small payouts or rarer, larger ones?
- Maximum win: What’s the best payout you can get from the slot, and how do you achieve it?
- Features: Does the slot have wilds, scatters, multipliers, or a special round?
- Special features game: What does the special features game look like, is it on a second screen, and how does it work?
- Graphics & sound: Do the graphics and soundtrack match with the theme and are they entertaining?
The Goonies Symbols and Payouts
It’s time to take a closer look at the fundamental parts of the slot’s gameplay. We’ll dig into the symbols and how they link to The Goonies. Next up, we’ll review the number of paylines this slot has.
There are four low-value symbols, which are the playing cards J to A. They don’t have a connection to the theme but are drawn in a style that fits. The high-value icons fit with the storyline of The Goonies, so you’ll see a shipwreck, skull, treasure, gold, and a pirate flag.
The Goonies online slot has 20 paylines, and you get paid for the highest combination on any line. It pays from left to right, but the icons don’t need to be next to each other to trigger a win, as the paylines go all across the reels. You need three symbols to get a payout, but the pirate flag or the wild gets you a win with two.
Min/Max Bets and Autoplay Options
The minimum bet with all lines covered is $0.20. The maximum bet is $100. There’s an autoplay function, where you can set up a number of spins, a loss limit or a max win limit.
The Goonies RTP
The RTP of The Goonies is 96%. It sits right at the average level for slots.
It’s a high-volatility slot. While you could wait a bit longer for a win than you would with a less volatile game, the payouts are generally bigger when they do come.
The maximum win for the slot is 50,000x your total bet or $250,000.
|We like the design of the high-value symbols used in this slot. They capture the essence of the movie well. As a high volatility slot, you can spin quite a few times without getting a win, and getting a big payout or triggering a special feature feels even more challenging.|
The symbols are the basic mechanism of the slot, but it’s the features that are the most interesting part. Let’s find out what special symbols and special feature rounds The Goonies has in store.
Wilds and Other Features
There are a couple of exciting features to look forward to in this slot. They help bring The Goonies theme alive with plenty of familiar characters.
The doubloon from the movie that helped the gang read the map is used as the wild symbol. As well as standing in for other icons, it pays out for two or more on a payline.
Each character can randomly give you a boost on any spin:
- Mikey’s Hidden Treasure: Any of the reels could be stacked as a wild
- Chunk’s Truffle Shuffle: Wild overlay the reels
- Sloth’s Win Spin: Extra symbols appear to help you secure the win
- Data’s Colossal Symbols: Larger 3×3 symbols fill part of the reels
- One-Eyed Willie’s Boost: More special feature symbols are added to the reels
- Mouth’s Lucky Coins: Random symbols take on special powers to give out extra wins
Special Features Rounds
Most of the complexity of The Goonies slot lies in the special features rounds. You need to land three pirate skull special features symbols to trigger the second screen, which leads you to a wheel. You’ll spin it to select one of the following special features round formats:
- One-Eyed Willy’s Treasure – Activates a prize wheel with multipliers.
- Inferno Additional Spins – At the start of each spin, up to three reels could turn wild.
- Goonies Go Wild Additional Spins – The top value symbols turn wild.
- Super Sloth Additional Spins – The Super Sloth Wild could land on the reels and turn the picture symbols into the highest value icons.
- Skeleton Organ Feature – Choose organ keys, just like in the movie, to win multipliers and prizes.
- Fratelli Hideout – choose one of the doorways leading to the other special features rounds.
The Goonies Graphics and Sound
Let’s take a closer look at how the slot looks and what the music and sound effects are like.
|Graphics||3D plus animations and characters from the movie|
|Optimized for Mobile||👍|
|Music||Has music and sound effects from the original movie|
|Special features||Stills from the movie, reels slow and glow blue to build tension for the special features symbol, has several special features screens separate from the reels.|
|Sound & Design|
|Having the original soundtrack is a huge advantage in this slot. We found ourselves excited and in the mood for adventure from the first bars. We particularly liked the sound effects of characters saying lines from the movie. Not only that, but we were also impressed with how the character animations, backdrop, and scenes away from the reels managed to capture the spirit of the movie too.|
Solutions if you have some issues with The Goonies Online Slot
Having issues playing this slot? This guide can help.
- Game malfunctions mid-play – This renders your spin and your bet void. If you’re experiencing repeated issues, contact customer support.
- The slot is frozen – You might need to exit the screen or refresh the page to start the session again.
Worth It To Revisit An 80s Favourite
The Goonies slot pays proper tribute to the awesome adventure movie. We love that it has the original soundtrack, tons of character references and some of the most famous lines from the movie. The theme is compelling in the way it applies to the symbols and the many special features rounds.
The atmosphere was great, but waiting for wins wasn’t so fun. That being said, the random modifiers are a good way to spice things up. However, it took a while to activate the special features round, and while we did want to trigger them all, this game tested our patience. Overall, we would play this slot again, but only occasionally. We rate it 7.5/10.
Other Games Similar to The Goonies Online Slot
If The Goonies slot appeals to you, and you want more, check out these other titles:
- TED – It’s another slot based on a movie and provided by Blueprint gaming
- The Goonies Return – If you can’t get enough, why not try the sequel?
Who made The Goonies online slot?
Blueprint gaming developed the slot.
Is The Goonies slot authentic?
Yes, the slot was made with authorization from Universal and features the original soundtrack.
What’s the RTP?
The RTP is 96%.
How many reels does the slot have?
The slot plays on a 5×3 grid.
How do I trigger the special features round?
You trigger the special round by landing three special features pirate symbols. You then spin the wheel to determine which feature you’ll play.
Does The Goonies slot have additional spins?
Yes, some options for the special features round include additional spins.