The Walking Dead Review
Can you survive the apocalypse? Playtech brings you all the familiar characters from the hit TV show to help you. The zombie thriller translates easily into an exciting slot for you to play.
Read our The Walking Dead review to discover what to expect from the gameplay and features.
What We Examined in This Slot Review of The Walking Dead
The TV show The Walking Dead is great entertainment. You can assume that the slot will also deliver fun and thrills, but we’d prefer to make sure. We look at every aspect of the game to ensure it’ll meet high standards and deliver a superb experience.
- RTP: What’s the theoretical Return To Player for this slot?
- Volatility: Low, medium or high? Will the wins be small and frequent, or larger but come less often?
- Theme and slot symbols: Do the slot symbols fit with the theme and is it well executed?
- Autoplay options: Can you turn on autoplay, and how does it work?
- Min and max bet: How little can you bet, and what’s the largest amount you can wager?
- Maximum win: Is there a jackpot? If not, what’s the maximum win available from the game?
- Features: Does the slot have features like Wilds and respins?
- Special features game: Is there a special round played on a second screen, and what does it deliver?
- Graphics & sound: Can you expect a slick and attractive slot, and does the music fit with the theme?
The Walking Dead Symbols and Payouts
Every slot has some key statistics and functioning parts. Those core components can tell us a lot about the game. Let’s take a closer look at how the TV show is represented in this popular slot.
The playing card and weapon icons, J, Q, K and A, are low-value icons. The characters from the show are the high-paying symbols, with Michonne, Negan, Daryl and Carol having the same worth, and Grimes as the most valuable.
The slot has 50 lines. It pays from left to right, where the highest combination pays out and is multiplied by the line bet. In free games, the payout is multiplied by the total bet.
Min/Max Bets and the Slot’s Autoplay Options
You can press and hold the spin button to activate the autoplay function, where you can set up a number of spins using the sliding scale. The minimum bet for this slot is $0.10. The maximum amount that you can wager is $500.
The Walking Dead RTP
The RTP of The Walking Dead online slot is 95.73%. It sits slightly below average compared to other slots.
The volatility of this slot is medium. It manages to hit that sweet spot of some smaller and some larger wins, which might come frequently or sometimes with longer gaps.
The maximum win for the slot is x2,000, which is a significant amount considering how high the max bet can go.
Just Like The TV Show, It Ticks All The Boxes
The symbols use real imagery from the TV show, so the slot has an authentic feel from the outset. Although the RTP is a tiny bit low, the min and max bets provide an excellent range, the max payout is significant, and the medium volatility makes this slot appealing.
Now we know about the basic elements that appear on the reels, it’s time to explore the more complex side of the slot. We’ll look at the special symbols and features that could help you get bigger potential wins.
Wilds and Respins
The special features of this slot are where it really comes into its own. Keep reading to find out how the Saviors and Whisperers appear in the game.
The zombie’s hand acts as a Wild, which means it can stand in for all the basic symbols. It also pays out when you land three or more on the reels.
If you get more than one on a reel, it’ll expand to the other rows to reveal part of a zombie horde.
The free games scatter symbol triggers the free games round. You need three or more on the reels to access this feature. Once triggered, you’ll spin a wheel to determine which special round you’ll access. There are five options:
- The Horde: reels two, three, and four will expand Wilds and coins that land there
- The Saviors: reels two, three, and four apply random multipliers to Wilds and coins that land there
- The Whisperers: up to three special reels appear with only Wilds and coin symbols
- Wild Walkers: wild stacks turn into Wild Walkers and launch a respins feature. The counter stays set to the same number of spins, the stack moves to the left until it leaves, coins become Wilds, and new stacks of Wilds become Wild Walkers.
- Alexandria: a full stack of coins triggers a respins feature where the number of spins is frozen. The stack moves to the left on each turn, and three or more additional coins trigger the Hold and Win feature.
Hold and Win
The slot has a Hold and Win feature called The Tower. During the base game, coin symbols with a value, a key or a jackpot symbol will appear on the reels. If you land six or more, you’ll trigger a second screen special feature round with a tower. The coin symbols that you landed will remain in place, and your three respins will start.
More coins with prizes, keys and jackpot symbols will fall. If two keys land on an empty grid square, you’ll unlock the chained level above. Jackpot icons and coins with prize amounts are added to the total win. Landing any coins resets your number of respins to three.
As you move up to the higher levels, 2x and then 5x multipliers are applied to your wins. If you reach the top level, all coins will have the jackpot biohazard symbol, giving you a better shot at a bigger prize.
There are four jackpots available, mini, minor, major, and grand. Their values will depend on your stake. If you land a jackpot symbol, a mini wheel will spin and land on one of the four options. Your prizes are counted up once you have no respins remaining.
The Walking Dead Graphics and Sound
Just like the show, the soundtrack and special effects make all the difference to your experience of the slot.
|3D plus animations and characters from the TV show
|Optimized for Mobile
|Has music and sound effects from the original TV series
|Flames, zombie hands, animations, and imagery from the TV show.
The Walking Dead Delivers An Experience True To The Hit Series
The soundtrack, the graphics, and the original character images as icons link this slot closely to the TV show. Even the backdrop and the names of the special features evoke plot lines from the series. They also make for entertaining gameplay, although the free games round can take some time to trigger.
Solutions For Problems With The Walking Dead Online Slot
If you’re encountering problems playing this game, check the solutions for the following scenarios.
- I used autoplay but what to stop now – You can use the stop button to halt autoplay at any time. You can also arrange the spins to stop when you trigger a special feature.
- My game is frozen – You might need to refresh the page. If it’s a game malfunction, your bet and any wins will be void.
Apocalypse Survival Can Actually Be Fun
The Walking Dead slot has it all: zombies, familiar characters, respins and jackpots. The medium volatility gives the game a brilliant pace, and the expanding zombie wild can lead to some bigger wins in the base game.
The authentic imagery from the original TV series creates the right atmosphere, and the slot features tie in with the plot. The slightly lower-than-average RTP and the number of spins it took to trigger the free games were the only downsides we could find. We rate it 9/10.
Other Games Similar to The Walking Dead Online Slot
If The Walking Dead appeals to you, there are other fantastic TV and movie slots out there:
- Jumanji – based on the original movie, it has all the sounds and features of the fictional board game.
- Narcos – tense, dangerous and potentially lucrative, the slot stays true to the TV series.
Is The Walking Dead slot authentic?
Yes, the slot was made in collaboration with AMC, who produced the show.
How do I activate The Tower round?
You need to land six or more coins on the reels to launch this feature.
Who made The Walking Dead online slot?
The slot was produced by Playtech.
How many paylines does the slot have?
The slot has 50 paylines, and your wins are multiplied by your line bet.